In article
<CAK1QooqSgnSkX7Uw0=UGyzGJiNFUsPDA+=vf3iqmdpyy0zr...@mail.gmail.com>,
 Meador Inge <mead...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sat, Dec 31, 2011 at 5:56 PM, Guido van Rossum <gu...@python.org> wrote:
>
> > PS. I would propose a specific fix but I can't seem to build a working
> > CPython from the trunk on my laptop (OS X 10.6, Xcode 4.1). I get this error
> > late in the build:
> >
> > ./python.exe -SE -m sysconfig --generate-posix-vars
> > Fatal Python error: Py_Initialize: can't initialize sys standard streams
> > Traceback (most recent call last):
> >   File "/Users/guido/cpython/Lib/io.py", line 60, in <module>
> > make: *** [Lib/_sysconfigdata.py] Abort trap
>
> I am having this problem now too.  I am running OS X 10.7.2.
> 3.2 still builds for me, but I can't build default.
>
> Did you ever get past it?  Anyone else seeing this?

Chances are you are using llvm-gcc-4.2, the default CC for Xcode 4.2.
There is a critical compile error with it (Issue13241) when building
default (3.3).  My current recommendations (despite some test failures):

- for OS X 10.7.x, use the latest released Xcode, currently Xcode 4.2.1,
and build with clang and debug:

./configure --with-pydebug CC=clang MACOSX_DEPLOYMENT_TARGET=10.7

- for OS X 10.6.x, if possible, continue to use the last released Xcode
3.2 (3.2.6), which includes Apple gcc-4.2 (/usr/bin/gcc-4.2 not
llvm-gcc-4.2)

/usr/bin/gcc-4.2 --version
./configure MACOSX_DEPLOYMENT_TARGET=10.6
or
./configure --with-pydebug MACOSX_DEPLOYMENT_TARGET=10.6

- for OS X 10.6.x with Xcode 4 installed (which does not include Apple
gcc-4.2), use the latest Xcode 4.2 for 10.6 and use clang and debug:

./configure --with-pydebug CC=clang MACOSX_DEPLOYMENT_TARGET=10.6

Unfortunately, testing and sorting out the issues with the current OS X
compilers has taken much much longer than anticipated, primarily because
it's a big task and, until several days ago, I have had no time to
devote to it.  But I'm making progress now with installer builds
completed for all of default, 3.2-tip, 3.2.2, 2.7-tip, and 2.7.2, each
with all of the major compiler combinations on 10.5, 10.6 (Xcode 3.2 and
4.2), and 10.7 (4.1 and 4.2); the tests are running now on each of the
applicable environments (that will take about another week to complete).
Realistically, we should be able to have everything tested, fixed, and
documented by the end of the PyCon sprints next month.  We will also
have some recommendations for buildbot changes.

BTW, the current test failures with clang without pydebug include a
number of ctypes test failures (in ctypes.test.test_cfuncs.CFunctions).
If anyone has time to further investigate those, it would be very
helpful (Issue13370).

--
 Ned Deily,
 n...@acm.org