On Sat, Feb 4, 2012 at 7:35 AM, Ned Deily <n...@acm.org> wrote:

> Chances are you are using llvm-gcc-4.2, the default CC for Xcode 4.2.

Yup:

motherbrain:python meadori$ sw_vers
ProductName:    Mac OS X
ProductVersion: 10.7.2
BuildVersion:   11C74
motherbrain:python meadori$ gcc --version
i686-apple-darwin11-llvm-gcc-4.2 (GCC) 4.2.1 (Based on Apple Inc.
build 5658) (LLVM build 2336.1.00)

motherbrain:python meadori$ clang --version
Apple clang version 3.0 (tags/Apple/clang-211.12) (based on LLVM 3.0svn)
Target: x86_64-apple-darwin11.2.0
Thread model: posix

> There is a critical compile error with it (Issue13241) when building
> default (3.3).  My current recommendations (despite some test failures):
>
> - for OS X 10.7.x, use the latest released Xcode, currently Xcode 4.2.1,
> and build with clang and debug:
>
> ./configure --with-pydebug CC=clang MACOSX_DEPLOYMENT_TARGET=10.7

That worked.  Thanks!

> Unfortunately, testing and sorting out the issues with the current OS X
> compilers has taken much much longer than anticipated, primarily because
> it's a big task and, until several days ago, I have had no time to
> devote to it.  But I'm making progress now with installer builds
> completed for all of default, 3.2-tip, 3.2.2, 2.7-tip, and 2.7.2, each
> with all of the major compiler combinations on 10.5, 10.6 (Xcode 3.2 and
> 4.2), and 10.7 (4.1 and 4.2); the tests are running now on each of the
> applicable environments (that will take about another week to complete).
> Realistically, we should be able to have everything tested, fixed, and
> documented by the end of the PyCon sprints next month.  We will also
> have some recommendations for buildbot changes.

I volunteer to help out if there is anything I can do.

> BTW, the current test failures with clang without pydebug include a
> number of ctypes test failures (in ctypes.test.test_cfuncs.CFunctions).
> If anyone has time to further investigate those, it would be very
> helpful (Issue13370).

I will look into those.

--
# Meador