On Mon, Mar 12, 2012 at 07:23:11PM -0700, Andrey Petrov wrote:
> I've had the pleasure of speaking with Guido at PyCon and it became evident
> that some of Python's included batteries are significantly lagging behind the
> rapidly-evolving defacto standards of the community specifically in cases like
> urllib and urllib2, which lack important features provided by alternatives
> like
> httplib2, requests, and my own urllib3.

Well, I think I have address this because I am the maintainer of those
modules in standard lib.

First things first, it looks to me that trashing something gives good
motivation to you (and others working on related modules). I don't
have a problem with that.

But on the other hand, if you think things can be improved in stdlib,
you are welcome to contribute. Just remember that new features,
refactoring with backwards compatibility, 'cool api' for new features
should go in 3.3+ onwards. Bug fixes, confusions on what's RFC
supported vs what's defacto standards, fine line between bugs and
features, those can be considered for 2.7.

I am personally in favor of constantly improving the standard library
modules along with mention of any good libraries which can be useful
for the purposes of the user.

We already have lots of such references in standard library
documentation. If there is a well maintained package, as long as the
external package is active and maintained, we can have it as link in
the docs. Sometimes those external packages become inactive too, in
those cases, those should pruned. Its' all about maintaining libraries
and docs and being helpful.

--
Senthil