On Mar 21, 2012 5:44 AM, "Ned Batchelder" <n...@nedbatchelder.com> wrote:
> The best thing to do is to set a max-width in ems, say 50em. This leaves the
> text at a reasonable width, but adapts naturally for people with larger fonts.

Please, no, not even this "improved" version of coddling. If you're
formatting e.g. a newspaper or a book, by all means (though I still
think the user should be given ultimate control -- and I don't mean
editing the CSS using the browser's development tools :-). But when
reading docs there are all sorts of reasons why I might want to
stretch the window to maximum width and nothing's more frustrating
than a website that forces clipping, folding or a horizontal scroll
bar even when I make the window wide enough. And sometimes I just
don't care that much about reading the text, but having more things
visible at once (vertically) is worth it.

(Can you see why I invented a whitespace-sensitive language? I have a
whitespace-sensitive brain. :-)

--
--Guido van Rossum (python.org/~guido)