Terry Reedy wrote:
On 3/25/2012 12:32 PM, Georg Brandl wrote:
On 25.03.2012 17:54, Terry Reedy wrote:
On 3/25/2012 2:34 AM, Georg Brandl wrote:
Here's another try, mainly with default browser font size, more contrast

Untrue. You still changed the high contrast dark blue to the same low
contrast light blue for builtin names, etc. What problem do you think
you are trying to solve by making the doc difficult and even PAINFUL for
me to read?

- a lot more than 1

"More contrast" was meant in comparison to iteration #1.

It is still subjectively dim enough to me that I could not tell from memory.

I ran the following experiment: I put old and new versions of the buitin functions page side-by-side in separate browser windows. I asked my teenage daughter to come into the room, approach slowly, and say when she could read one or both windows. At about 5 feet, she could (just) read the old but not the new.

Do you often read things on your computer monitor from 5ft away?

While I sympathize with the ideal of making the docs readable, particular for those of us who don't have 20-20 vision, "must be readable from halfway across the room" is setting the bar too high. What is important is not *absolute* readability, but readability relative to the normal use-case of sitting at a computer under typical reading conditions.

To be honest here, I don't even know which elements you are having trouble with. I don't see any elements with such low contrast to cause problems at least not for me. Even with my glasses off, I find the built-in names to be no less readable as the vanilla text around it. E.g. on this page:

http://www.python.org/~gbrandl/build/html2/library/stdtypes.html

I see built-in names such as `int` and `str` are written as hyperlinks in medium blue on a white background. When I hover over the link, it becomes a touch lighter blue, but not enough to appreciably hurt contrast and readability.

I see literals such as `{}` in black on a pale blue-grey background. The background is faint enough that it is hardly noticeable, not enough to hurt contrast. So I don't know what you are speaking off when you say "the same low contrast light blue for builtin names, etc." -- can you give an example?

[...]
Using a magnifying glass, the difference seems to be more one of thickness -- 2 pixel lines versus 1-1.5 pixel lines. I have astigmatism that is only partly correctable and the residual blurring of single-pixel lines tends to somewhat mix text color with the background color.

For what it's worth, it wouldn't surprise me if the problem is the fallback font. If I'm reading the CSS correctly, the standard font used in the new docs is Lucinda Grande, with a fallback of Arial. Unfortunately, Lucinda Grande is normally only available on the Apple Mac, and Arial is a notoriously poor choice for on-screen text (particularly in smaller text sizes).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lucida_Grande

suggests fallbacks of Lucida Sans Unicode, Tahoma, and Verdana. Could they please be tried before Arial?

E.g. change the font-family from

font-family: 'Lucida Grande',Arial,sans-serif;

font-family: 'Lucida Grande','Lucida Sans Unicode','Lucida Sans',Tahoma,Verdana,Arial,sans-serif;

or similar.

--
Steven