Am 15.04.2012 00:32, schrieb Guido van Rossum:
> Funny, I was just thinking about having a simple standard API that
> will let you open files (and list directories) relative to a given
> module or package regardless of how the thing is loaded. If we
> guarantee that there's always a __loader__ that's a first step, though
> I think we may need to do a little more to get people who currently do
> things like open(os.path.join(os.path.basename(__file__),
> 'some_file_name') to switch. I was thinking of having a stdlib
> function that you give a module/package object, a relative filename,
> and optionally a mode ('b' or 't') and returns a stream -- and sibling
> functions that return a string or bytes object (depending on what API
> the user is using either the stream or the data can be more useful).
> What would we call thos functions and where would the live?

pkg_resources has a similar API [1] that supports dotted names.
pkg_resources also does some caching for files that aren't stored on a
local file system (database, ZIP file, you name it). It should be
trivial to support both dotted names and module instances.

Christian

[1]
http://packages.python.org/distribute/pkg_resources.html#resourcemanager-api