On 09/12/12 08:14, MRAB wrote:

If package A says that it conflicts with package B, it may or may not
be symmetrical, because it's possible that package B has been updated
since the author of package A discovered the conflict, so it's
important that the user is told which package is complaining about the
conflict, the one that is being installed or the one that is already
installed.

I must admit than in reading this thread, I'm having a bit of trouble
understanding why merely *installing* packages should lead to conflicts.

Assuming that two software packages Spam and Ham install into directories
Spam and Ham, how can merely having them installed side-by-side lead to a
conflict?

I can see how running or importing Spam and Ham together might lead to
problems. And I can see that if package Spam wants to install into
directory Ham, that would be bad. But who does that?

Have I just demonstrated my naivety when it comes to packaging?

Under what circumstances would two well-behaved packages with different
names conflict?

--
Steven