On 01.03.13 17:24, Stefan Bucur wrote:
Before digging deeper into the issue, I wanted to ask here if there are
any implicit assumptions about string identity and interning throughout
the interpreter implementation. For instance, are two single-char
strings having the same content supposed to be identical objects?

I think this is not a bug if the code relies on the fact that an empty string is a singleton. This obviously is an immutable object and there is no public method to create different empty string. But a user can create different 1-character strings with same value (first create uninitialized a 1-character string and than fill a content). If some code fails when none of 1-character strings are interned, this obviously is a bug.