On 04/05/13 15:13, Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:
Steven D'Aprano writes:

  > > Rather than risk obscure bugs, I would suggest restricting the extensions
  > > to 3 characters. For the “Windowed Python ZIP Applications” case, could we
  > > use .pzw as the extension instead of .pyzw?

+0

  > Many official Microsoft file extensions are four or more letters,
  > e.g. docx.

Give us a non-MS example, please.  Nobody in their right mind would
clash with a major MS product's naming conventions.  Not even if their
file format implements Digital-Ocular Coordination eXtensions.  And a
shell that borks the Borg's extensions won't make it in the market.

I'm afraid I don't understand your question. Are you suggesting that four
letter extensions are restricted to Microsoft products? If so, that would be an
excellent reason to avoid .pyzw, but I don't believe that is the case.

Common 4+ letter extensions include .html, .tiff, .jpeg, .mpeg, .midi, .java
and .torrent.

--
Steven