On Sat, 04 May 2013 11:41:27 +1000
Steven D'Aprano <st...@pearwood.info> wrote:

> > Rather than risk obscure bugs, I would suggest restricting the extensions
> > to 3 characters. For the “Windowed Python ZIP Applications” case, could we
> > use .pzw as the extension instead of .pyzw?
>
> I've had Linux systems which associated OpenOffice docs with Archive Manager
> rather than OpenOffice. It's likely that at least some Linux systems will
> likewise decide that .pyz files are archives, not Python files, and open them
> in Archive Manager.

What would that have to do with the file extension? If some Linux
systems decide that .ods and .pyz files are archives, it's probably
because they *are* archives in their own right (though specialized
ones).

Probably the libmagic (used e.g. by the `file` command) wasn't
up-to-date enough to specifically recognize OpenOffice documents, so
it simply recognized the ZIP file structure and detected the file as
such.

Regards

Antoine.