19.07.13 07:51, Steven D'Aprano написав(ла):
Optimistically, I think it would probably be safe[1] to replace " -- "
or " --- " in text with "\N{THIN SPACE}\N{EM DASH}\N{THIN SPACE}" (or
\N{HAIR SPACE} if you prefer) without human review, but for any other
changes, I wouldn't even try to automate it.

No, it is not safe. " -- " used in code examples in which it doesn't converted to en-dash. Also we should correct tables and underlines in titles.

I have a manually written and multiple times checked patch (modifies about 640 lines) which safely replaces " -- " with " --- " but I doubt what actually should be a preferable dash.