On 07/21/2013 04:36 PM, Raymond Hettinger wrote:
Our current Mac OS X builds use GCC-4.2.

On Python2.7, I ran a comparison of gcc-4.2.1 builds
versus gcc-4.8.1 and found that the latter makes a much
faster Python.  PyBench2.0 shows the total running time
dropping from 5653ms to 4571ms.  The code is uniformly
better in just about every category.

I know that newer Microsoft compilers tend to drop support for older operating systems, and often that means the binaries simply won't work on those operating systems. (Yes, technically it's the libraries that break the older code.)

Are Apple's compilers the same? Or do they tend to support all the old versions of OS X?

//arry/