On 22 Jul, 2013, at 3:01, Larry Hastings <la...@hastings.org> wrote:

> On 07/21/2013 04:36 PM, Raymond Hettinger wrote:
>> Our current Mac OS X builds use GCC-4.2.
>>
>> On Python2.7, I ran a comparison of gcc-4.2.1 builds
>> versus gcc-4.8.1 and found that the latter makes a much
>> faster Python.  PyBench2.0 shows the total running time
>> dropping from 5653ms to 4571ms.  The code is uniformly
>> better in just about every category.
>>

> I know that newer Microsoft compilers tend to drop support for older
> operating systems, and often that means the binaries simply won't work on
> those operating systems.  (Yes, technically it's the libraries that break the
> older code.)
>
> Are Apple's compilers the same?  Or do they tend to support all the old
> versions of OS X?

The compiler's included with Xcode 4 cannot generate code for PowerPC machines,
other than that it should be possible to generate code for older machines with
the latest Xcode version.  I have a Python installation on my machine that I
use to generate app distributions for a 10.5 machine, and AFAIK this would also
work for deploying to 10.4.

The hard part is usually convincing autotools-using projects to not use APIs
that are available on the build machine but not on the deployment machine.

Ronald