On 28 July 2013 00:30, Steve Dower <steve.do...@microsoft.com> wrote:

> > And if you change the association after the fact, you're presumably just
> as capable
> > of changing PATHEXT.
>
> Not if the association is changed by another installer (presumably with
> the user's explicit permission). It would be very easy for people to go a
> long time without noticing this until some program does ShellExecute(...)
> on a name that happens to be a Python script and Visual Studio pops open...

Mph. I'd argue that as Python "owns" the .py extension, any other
application that changes the default action of .py scripts without both
making that behaviour optional and making it off by default, is at least
unfriendly and arguably even broken. But that's just a matter of opinion...

As regards ShellExecute, I don't know how that is affected by PATHEXT. I
looked quite hard and couldn't find complete "official" documentation on
how PATHEXT is supposed to work, so I'm working a bit on experiment and
best guesses here :-( I'll go and check what the ShellExecute documentation
says on the matter (but I'm surprised - I got the impression that PATHEXT
was purely a console mechanism, so I don't quite understand why
ShellExecute would use it).

Paul