On 14 Sep, 2013, at 8:30, Nick Coghlan <ncogh...@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> but the *primary* purpose is to
>>> customise the retrieval of objects that will be checked to see if they're
>>> descriptors.
>>
>> If that's the case, the PEP should make that clear.
>
> Technically, that's what "Currently object.__getattribute__ and
> super.__getattribute__ peek in the __dict__ of classes on the MRO for
> a class when looking for an attribute." means.
>
> However, I agree the current wording only conveys that to the handful
> of people that already know exactly when in the attribute lookup
> sequence that step occurs, which is a rather niche audience :)

I've been fooling around with this long enough that I forgot that not
everyone knows this :-).

I guess I'd better include a clearer and more complete description
of the current attribute resolution protocol and how my proposal affects
that.  A nice readable Python implementation of that protocol would be nice
to have regardless of the fate of this PEP.

Ronald