Am 08.01.14 16:03, schrieb Nick Coghlan:
> On 9 January 2014 00:43, Bob Hanson <d2mp...@newsguy.com> wrote:
>> When I read this comment of yours, Guido, I immediately started
>> wondering about this. You may well be right -- indeed, I have a
>> very old install (c.2007) which has not been updated (other than
>> one or three new MS "drivers").
>>
>> Perhaps the Python 3.4.0b2 MSI installer uses a new capability,
>> which, as you say, causes the installer to at least attempt to
>> upgrade...?
>
> I believe the pip bootstrapping involves an MSI feature we haven't
> previously used (MvL would be able to confirm). If so, then MSI may be
> looking for a new version to interpret that new setting.

That's not true. The pip bootstrapping uses a custom action, and
we already have one that is similar (compile to pyc), although that
isn't run by default.

My guess is that it might try verifying signatures, and somehow tries
to obtain the CA certificates (although it's puzzling that it would get
them from akamai - perhaps MS is hosting the CA bundle there).

Regards,
Martin