On 1/14/2014 1:11 PM, Jim J. Jewett wrote:

But in terms of explaining the text model, that
separation is important enough that

     (1)  We should be reluctant to strengthen the
          "its really just ASCII" messages.
     (2)  It *may* be worth creating a virtual
          split in the documentation.

I'm willing ot work on (2) if there is general consensus
that it would be a good idea.  As a rough sketch, I
would change places like

     http://docs.python.org/3/library/stdtypes.html#typebytes

from:

     Bytes objects are immutable sequences of single bytes.
     Since many major binary protocols are based on the ASCII
     text encoding, bytes objects offer several methods that
     are only valid when working with ASCII compatible data
     and are closely related to string objects in a variety
     of other ways.

to something more like:

     Bytes objects are immutable sequences of single bytes.

     A Bytes object could represent anything, and is
     appropriate as the underlying storage for a sound sample
     or image file.

     Virtual subclass ASCIIStructuredBytes
     ====================================

     One particularly common use of bytes is to represent
     the contents of a file, or of a network message.  In
     these cases, the bytes will often represent Text
     *in a specific encoding* and that encoding will usually
     be a superset of ASCII.  Rather than create and support
     an ASCIIStructuredBytes subclass, Python simply added
     support for these use cases straight to Bytes objects,
     and assumes that this support simply won't be used when
     when it does not make sense. For example, bytes literals
     *could* be used to construct a sound sample, but the
     literals will be far easier to read when they are used
     to represent (encoded) ASCII text, such as "OPEN".

I rather like this. Consider opening a tracker issue.

--
Terry Jan Reedy