On 14Jan2014 11:43, Jim Jewett <jimjjew...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Greg Ewing replied:
> >> ... ASCII compatible binary data is a
> >> *subset* of arbitrary binary data.
>
> I wrote: [...]
> >    (2)  It *may* be worth creating a virtual
> >         split in the documentation. [...]
>
> Ethan likes the idea, but points out that the term
> "Virtual" is confusing here. [...]
> (A)  What word should I use instead of "Virtual"?
> Imaginary?  Pretend?

I'd title it in terms of a common use case, not a "virtual class".
You even phrase the opening sentence as a use case already.

> (B)  Would it be good/bad/at least make the docs
> easier to create an actual class (or alias)?
> (C)  Same question for a pair of classes provided
> only in the documentation, like example code.

I don't think so. People might use it:-(

[...]
> >      A Bytes object could represent anything, [...]

Tiny nit: shouldn't that be "bytes", not "Bytes"?

> >      appropriate as the underlying storage for a sound sample
> >      or image file.
> >
> >      Virtual subclass ASCIIStructuredBytes

Possible alternate title:

        Common use case: bytes containing text sequences, especially ASCII

Cameron Simpson <c...@zip.com.au>

I think... Therefore I ride.  I ride... Therefore I am.
        - Mark Pope <erec...@yarrow.wt.uwa.edu.au>