On 03/27/2014 04:26 AM, Nick Coghlan wrote:
On 27 March 2014 20:47, Victor Stinner <victor.stin...@gmail.com> wrote:
The PEP 461 looks good to me. It's a nice addition to Python 3.5 and
the PEP is well defined.

+1 from me as well. One minor request is that I don't think the
rationale for rejecting numbers from "%s" is complete [...]

Changed to
In particular, ``%s`` will not accept numbers nor ``str``.  ``str`` is rejected
as the string to bytes conversion requires an encoding, and we are refusing to
guess; numbers are rejected because:

  - what makes a number is fuzzy (float? Decimal? Fraction? some user type?)

  - allowing numbers would lead to ambiguity between numbers and textual
    representations of numbers (3.14 vs '3.14')

  - given the nature of wire formats, explicit is definitely better than
implicit

Note: I fixed a typo in your PEP (reST syntax).

I also committed a couple of markup tweaks, since it seemed easier to
just fix them than explain what was broken.

Thanks to both of you for that.

However, there are also
two dead footnotes (4 & 5), which I have left alone - I'm not sure if
the problem is a missing reference, or if the footnote can go away
now.

Fixed.

--
~Ethan~