On 3/29/2014 8:28 PM, Nick Coghlan wrote:

The "future" project already contains a full backport of a true bytes
type, rather than relying on Python 2 str objects:
http://python-future.org/what_else.html#bytes

That project looks really nice!

It seems to me that the easiest way to make any forthcoming Python 3.5
enhancements (both binary interpolation and the other cleanups we are
discussing over on Python ideas) available to single source 2/3 code
bases is to commit to an API freeze for *those particular builtins*
early, and then update "future" accordingly.

I agree. I think syntax changes should be in by the first alpha, if not before.

--
Terry Jan Reedy