On 25/04/2014 04:03, Barry Warsaw wrote:
On Apr 25, 2014, at 12:00 PM, Chris Angelico wrote:

Don't forget that PEP 8 is not the standard for the Python language,
only the Python stdlib. Particularly, there's no strong reason to
follow some of its lesser advices (eg spaces rather than tabs, the
exact maximum line length) for new projects;

I'd say it depends.  If the code is going to be shared with people outside of
your organization (e.g. open source libraries), then there's a strong
motivation to be consistent throughout the community, which means PEP 8.

Right, so for me this means even in a private code base, there are big benefits to using PEP 8; everything looks the same, whether it's a third party library, python core or your own code...

Chris

            - http://www.simplistix.co.uk