I think the tool's name is unfortunate. The first time I heard about it I
was having an in-person discussion with a developer who (I thought) said
that "PEP 8" was okay with his code (which I knew couldn't be the case) but
in fact he meant to say that (some configuration of) "pep8" didn't mind it.
This took some time to sort out and it would have avoided if the tool had
had a better name.

That said I think it's a great tool.

--
--Guido van Rossum (python.org/~guido)