On 9 May 2014 00:52, "M.-A. Lemburg" <m...@egenix.com> wrote:

> On 08.05.2014 15:57, Nick Coghlan wrote:
>
> > (even the question of "does this software actually work?" is in our
> > sights if you consider a long enough time span). That's hard enough
> > with just a couple of service providers (Fastly and Rackspace) in the
> > mix - it quickly becomes impossible if every new dependency from an
> > installation request adds a new point of failure.
>
> Like I said: the best option is to use a local directory which
> only contains packages files that you have inspected and
> actually trust :-)

Correct, but that raises the barrier to entry too high. The pip defaults
are aimed at providing an experience with the fewest points of failure that
is currently achievable, with a minimal learning curve.

We still have a long way to go, but if people want to influence those
design decisions, the relevant lists are pypa-dev (for pip specific
discussions) and distutils-sig (for higher level cross-tool design
decisions)

Cheers,
Nick.