On 08/15/2014 08:08 PM, Steven D'Aprano wrote:
On Fri, Aug 15, 2014 at 02:08:42PM -0700, Ethan Furman wrote:
On 08/13/2014 10:32 AM, Steven D'Aprano wrote:

(2) Also note that *this is already the case*, since tuples are made by
the commas, not the parentheses. E.g. this succeeds:

# Not a tuple, actually two context managers.
with open("/tmp/foo"), open("/tmp/bar", "w"):
    pass

Thanks for proving my point!  A comma, and yet we did *not* get a tuple
from it.

Um, sorry, I don't quite get you. Are you agreeing or disagreeing with
me? I spent half of yesterday reading the static typing thread over on
Python-ideas and it's possible my brain has melted down *wink* but I'm
confused by your response.

My point is that commas don't always make a tuple, and your example above is a case in point: we have a comma separating two context managers, but we do not have a tuple, and your comment even says so.

is a poor argument (that is, I'm disagreeing with it), since *single*
line parens-free with statements are already syntactically a tuple:

     with spam, eggs, cheese:  # Commas make a tuple, not parens.

This point I do not understand -- commas /can/ create a tuple, but don't /necessarily/ create a tuple. So, semantically: no tuple. Syntactically: I don't think there's a tuple there this way either. I suppose one of us should look it up in the lexar. ;)

--
~Ethan~