On 8/18/2014 12:04 PM, Chris Barker wrote:
On Sun, Aug 17, 2014 at 2:41 PM, Barry Warsaw <ba...@python.org
<mailto:ba...@python.org>> wrote:

    I think the biggest API "problem" is that default iteration returns
    integers
    instead of bytes.  That's a real pain.

what is really needed for this NOT to be a pain is a byte scalar.

The byte scalar is an int in range(256). Bytes is an array of such.

numpy has a scalar type for every type it supports -- this is a GOOD
THING (tm):

In [53]: a = np.array((3,4,5), dtype=np.uint8)

In [54]: a
Out[54]: array([3, 4, 5], dtype=uint8)

In [55]: a[1]
Out[55]: 4

In [56]: type(a[1])
Out[56]: numpy.uint8

In [57]: a[1].shape
Out[57]: ()

The lack of a  character type is a major source of "type errors" in
python (the whole list of strings vs a single string problem -- both
return a sequence when you index into them or iterate over them)

This is exactly what iterbytes would do  -- yields bytes of size 1.

Anyway, the character ship has long since sailed, but maybe a byte
scalar would be a good idea?

And FWIW, I think the proposal does make for a better, cleaner API.

--
Terry Jan Reedy