On Wed, 24 Sep 2014 17:12:35 +1000
Nick Coghlan <ncogh...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 24 Sep 2014 15:15, "Tim Golden" <m...@timgolden.me.uk> wrote:
> >
> > On 23/09/2014 18:05, Steve Dower wrote:
> >>
> >> I'm also considering/experimenting with installing into "Program
> >> Files" by default, but I suspect that isn't going to work out yet.
> >

> > I'd like to see that go forward: I think it's increasingly difficult to
> justify Python's position at c:\pythonxx. But it does run the risk of
> > breaking All The Things. When it was discussed, people spoke about
> > symlinks (or hardlinks / junctions / whatever) in the appropriate
> > places to support hardcoded paths, but I don't know how feasible
> > that will turn out to be.
>
> It might be better to offer that as a supported option in 3.5, and then
> make it the default in 3.6.

I would be surprised if this weren't already a supported option. Decent
Windows installers generally allow you to override the installation
path (it's been a while I haven't used the Windows Python installer,
sorry).

I think making the move in 3.5 would be a good idea. Experts can
override the installation path and choose C:\PythonXY. There's no
actual breakage since the path changes for every major release, anyway
(i.e. people would have had to change the path from "C:\Python34" to
"C:\Python35"; instead, they will have to change it to "C:\Program
Files\Python35").

Regards

Antoine.