On Feb 18, 2015, at 09:16 PM, Paul Moore wrote:

>That covers mime types, but not file extensions, so it's not really
>what *I* thought Barry was talking about.

I was actually thinking about both. :)

The Wikipedia page has several external links to collections of file
extensions, but I don't know that there's *an* official registry.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File_extension

Picking FileInfo.com at random, and searching for a few .py* extensions, you
find the usual suspects, plus a few others, but all are Python related, and
there's no .pyz extension currently registered.

>Also, I don't think reserving anything is something I, as an
>individual (and specifically a non-Unix user) should do. It probably
>should be handled by the PSF, as the process seems to need a contact
>email address...

Probably so.  Seems like they could pick one or more of these registries and
register pyz for this purpose.

Cheers,
-Barry