On Wed, Apr 22, 2015 at 2:38 PM, Chris Barker <chris.bar...@noaa.gov
<mailto:chris.bar...@noaa.gov>> wrote:

    On Tue, Apr 21, 2015 at 11:32 PM, Terry Reedy <tjre...@udel.edu
    <mailto:tjre...@udel.edu>> wrote:

        I was just thinking today that for this, typing needs a
        subtraction (difference) operation in addition to an addition
        (union) operation: Difference(Iterable(str), str)

    Anyway, the point is that being able to say "all these types, except
    this one" would solve this particular problem -- but would it solve
    any others? Do we want this to work around a quirk in Pythons string
    type?

More seriously, I doubt there are other important use cases for Difference.

I thought about Difference(numbers.Number, complex) to get ordered numbers, but numbers.Real should probably work. I agree more real uses are needed before adding Difference.

--
Terry Jan Reedy