Le 30/05/2015 13:51, Stephen J. Turnbull a écrit :
> Antoine Pitrou writes:
>  > On Sat, 30 May 2015 01:49:10 +0200
>  > Christian Heimes <christ...@python.org> wrote:
>  > > For performance patches we have to consider our responsibility for the
>  > > environment. Every improvement means more speed and less power
>  > > consumption. Python runs of hundreds of thousands of machines in the
>  > > cloud. Python 2.7 will be used for at least half a decade, probably
>  > > longer. Servers can be replaced with faster machines later and less
>  > > fossil fuel must be burned to produce power.
>  >
>  > Please keep your ideology out of this.
>
> Bad idea, unless you have benchmarks and engineering studies proving
> that that effect doesn't exist and never will.

No, it's up to the proponent to prove that the effect exists, with a
magnitude large enough to make any interesting difference. That's part
of the process when suggesting a change.

If it doesn't, or if it's entirely cosmetical, it may be an important
part of Christian's lifestyle (as are many individual practices,
including religious, militant, dietetic...), but it certainly shouldn't
brought up here. We don't want everyone trying to inject their beliefs
in the maintenance process.

> In a community of volunteers, ideology is typically a great motivator.

If and only everyone agrees on it. Otherwise, it is typically a great
divisor. Even abidance to RMS' writings and actions would probably not
be unanimous here...

Regards

Antoine.