> On Jan 31, 2017, at 11:40 AM, Wang, Peter Xihong
> <peter.xihong.w...@intel.com> wrote:
>
> Regarding to the performance difference between "re" and "regex" and
> packaging related options, we did a performance comparison using Python 3.6.0
> to run some micro-benchmarks in the Python Benchmark Suite
> (https://github.com/python/performance
> <https://github.com/python/performance>):
>
> Results in ms, and the lower the better (running on Ubuntu 15.10)
>                               re              regex (via pip install regex,
> and a replacement of "import re" with "import regex as re")
> bm_regex_compile.py           229             298
> bm_regex_dna.py               171             267
> bm_regex_effbot.py            2.77            3.04
> bm_regex_v8.py                24.8            14.1
> This data shows "re" is better than "regex" in term of performance in 3 out
> of 4 above micro-benchmarks.

This is very informative, thank you! This clearly shows we should rather pursue
the PyPI route (with a documentation endorsement and possible bundling for 3.7)
than full-blown replacement.

However, this benchmark is incomplete in the sense that it only checks the
compatibility mode of `regex`, whereas it's the new mode that lends the biggest
performance gains. So, providing checks for the other engine would show us the
full picture. We'd need to add checks that prove the regular expressions in
said benchmarks end up with equivalent matches, to be sure we're testing the
same thing.

- Ł