On 26 June 2017 at 02:39, Brett Cannon <br...@python.org> wrote:
> On Sat, Jun 24, 2017, 23:45 Nick Coghlan, <ncogh...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I was mainly referring to cases where either an initial commit (with a
>> complete NEWS entry) requires follow-up fixes (no NEWS edit
>> necessary).
>>
>> However, another case did occur to me, which is fixing bugs reported
>> against never-released features (which is what I'm currently working
>> on for PEP 538).
>
> https://github.com/python/bedevere/pull/22 is the current implementation of
> the check. All it does is see if the PR has a path that contains a news
> file. It can also easily be changed to also support some "no news" label if
> people want it to.

Yeah, I think I'd prefer to see the current "trivial" label split into
the more explicit "no issue needed" and "no NEWS needed". It isn't
necessarily the case that the changes in such PRs are trivial, it's
that the usual checks don't apply for some reason (and the change
being genuinely trivial is only one possibility)

Cheers,
Nick.