On 07/17/2017 07:25 PM, Nathaniel Smith wrote:
I think the intention is to allow users with a certain kind of security requirement to opt in to a restricted version of the language that doesn't support exec. This is difficult if the stdlib is calling exec all over the place. But nobody is suggesting to change the language in regular usage, just provide another option.

An anecdote about removing exec(). Back in 2012 I interviewed Kristjan Valur Jonsson, then of CCP Games, for my podcast Radio Free Python. He said that due to memory constraints they'd had to remove the compiler from the Playstation 3 build of Python for some game project. This meant that namedtuple didn't work, which had knock-on effects for other bits of the standard library

So security concerns aren't the only reason for removing the compiler,

//arry/