On 2018-01-04, Guido van Rossum wrote:
> We should interview you for the paper we may be writing for HOPL.

History of Programming Languages?

I did some more digging this afternoon, trying to find source code
between versions 1.0.1 and 0.9.1.  No luck though.  It looks like
0.9.1 might have been the last one you uploaded to alt.sources.
Later 0.9.X releases were uploaded to ftp.cwi.nl and
wuarchive.wustle.edu.  No one seems to have an archive of those.

I think all my old PCs have been sent to the scrapyard.  I might
have some old hard disk images somewhere.  Maybe on a writable DVD
or CDR.  Probably unreadable at this point.  I don't know exactly
which version of Python I first downloaded.  No earlier than the
fall of 1992 and maybe 1993 but it could have been pre-1.0.  I do
recall running a DOS port at some point.

Here is the announcement of 0.9.4alpha:

    http://legacy.python.org/search/hypermail/python-1992/0270.html

The Misc/HISTORY file has quite a lot of details.  It shows that
'continue' was added in 0.9.2.

Back on topic, it looks like allowing 'continue' will be trival once
Serhiy's unwind stack PR lands.  Just a few lines of code and I
think everything works.  If Mark implements his alternative
"wordcode for finally blocks gets copied" thing, it will make things
more complicated but not much more so than handling 'break' and
'return'.  So, those three should probably be all allowed or all
forbidden.

Regards,

  Neil