It can't track/change BR/R's as RPM is Turing complete and impossible to parse.
Imagine, we have pythonXdist(foo) extracted from PyPI metadata, but in
Fedora we still need to add some more BR for that, so we add it. When
new release comes (still without added BR in upstream) rebase-helper
will not be helpful. It can change only version of spec.

On Mon, Aug 15, 2016 at 11:25 AM, Tomas Orsava <tors...@redhat.com> wrote:
> On 08/12/2016 05:40 PM, Petr Viktorin wrote:
>>
>> The idea with pyp2rpm is to work with the Python Packaging Authority so
>> that the upstream metadata *can* be converted automatically. Ideally Fedora
>> packagers would fix packaging problems upstream, rather than maintaining
>> spec files.
>> Ideas for a tool for *updating* spec files are also floating around.
>>
> There's already rebase-helper (it's an interactive tool as well as an
> automatic one) that specializes in updating spec files.

-Igor Gnatenko