> On Apr 27, 2017, at 2:32 AM, Nick Coghlan <ncogh...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Debian and derivatives already mitigate the potential harm for these
> cases by requiring the "--install-layout=deb" option to be passed to
> get distutils to install into the system directories rather than doing
> it by default: https://wiki.debian.org/Python#Deviations_from_upstream
> <https://wiki.debian.org/Python#Deviations_from_upstream>
>
> Their approach means that any harm caused by "sudo pip install X" can
> subsequently be fully reversed by doing "sudo pip uninstall X".

For whatever it’s worth, at some point in time I plan on attempting to
formalize the Debian solution (or something akin to it) within a PEP and try to
get baked in support for it in Python.

I also feel required to point out that ``sudo pip uninstall`` isn’t always
enough, because while the two systems install to different locations, pip
currently will uninstall the files in /usr when installing to /usr/local.
They’ve patched their copy of pip to refuse to uninstall files from /usr, but
upstream pip will still do it. Again, something I hope to get sorted at some
point (and of course, an upgrade totally restores the files in /usr).

—
Donald Stufft