On 03-10-2022 12:14, Miro Hrončok wrote:
On 02. 10. 22 12:10, Sandro wrote:
[setuptools_scm] is currently not available for el9...

But it is. It' part of the RHEL 9 CRB repository. However, also version 6.0.1.
Why do you require >= 6.2 exactly?

I was following the instructions in the project's README:

https://github.com/pypa/setuptools_scm#pyprojecttoml-usage

Regarding availability for el9, I didn't know (where to look). I looked on src.fp.o:

https://src.fedoraproject.org/rpms/python-setuptools_scm

There's an ancient version for el7, but nothing for el8 or el9.

Yet, thinking about the whole thing, all setuptools_scm does is calculate the
version of the release from information in the SCM. In the RPM build
environments that information is taken from the spec file. I don't know much
about the internal workings of rpmbuild, but to me any BR on
python-setuptools-scm (or the toml extra) seems redundant.

It is indeed redundant, but sometimes a bit hard to patch out.

One for the wish list then. Why chase down redundant build dependencies?

-- Sandro