On 03-10-2022 19:41, Miro Hrončok wrote:
On 03. 10. 22 13:30, Sandro wrote:
I was following the instructions in the project's README:

https://github.com/pypa/setuptools_scm#pyprojecttoml-usage

It's all lies and snake oil.

Upstream lists the requirement of the recent enough version in their
documentation, because the users are reading the current version of the
documentation and if an older version was used, not all information from the
current documentation would be accurate.

I understand. There was a bit of frustration in my remark. What I think would really help is some sort of feature matrix. If you use feature foo, minimum version required is x.y.z

I recently stumbled on the same issue trying to determine minimum required version of setuptools. Especially for the RPM build systems you want to set it as low as possible, satisfying as many build environments as possible.

If you look e.g. at
https://github.com/pypa/setuptools_scm/tree/v6.0.1#pyprojecttoml-usage the
requirement was lower.

It was recently bumped in
https://github.com/pypa/setuptools_scm/commit/15049053b8 when [toml] was no
longer needed -- I suggest adding [toml] back if you lower the required version.

It works without [toml] in the EPEL 9 RPM package only by coincidence: because
the pyproject RPM macros depend on python3-toml on EPEL 9.

I'm still using setuptools_scm[toml] as a build requirement:

https://github.com/penguinpee/PyMunin3/commit/8f22eec3409711d4b7a5a5a0787859c4fd9e5120

In you second link it looks like they removed it. But I think it's the other way around:

https://github.com/pypa/setuptools_scm/compare/v6.2.0...v7.0.5#diff-7b3ed02bc73dc06b7db906cf97aa91dec2b2eb21f2d92bc5caa761df5bbc168f

My diff is base: v6.2.0 <- compare: v7.05.
Yours seems to be base: v7.0.5 <- compare: v6.2.0.

I might be wrong, but on the front page (main) the toml extra is listed as a requirement and that's what I have in my pyproject.toml.

But I see now why one needs two pairs of glasses doing Python. ;-D

-- Sandro