On Mon, Sep 19, 2016 at 9:56 PM, Steven D'Aprano <st...@pearwood.info> wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 19, 2016 at 06:38:00PM +1000, Chris Angelico wrote:
>
>> Sounds good to me. This is definitely sounding complicated and messy
>> enough to justify (a) writing a function to clear the screen, and (b)
>> testing that function thoroughly as a PyPI module before pushing
>> anything into the stdlib.
>
> This isn't Node.js where standard operating procedure
> is to rely on the third-party npm ecosystem even for tiny, ten line
> functions. And we should be *glad* that's not the case:

I agree; however, the bar for getting something onto PyPI is far lower
than the stdlib, and it makes it far easier to get a bit of testing
(hey, folks, here's what I'm playing with, can you try pip-installing
it and see if it works on your platform please). So the "first on
PyPI, then in the stdlib" route does have a lot of merit. But you're
quite right that we don't want to depend on a ton of packages....

ChrisA