+1. It's easier to implement, safer, and will educate. It has a real added value.

Le 22/10/2016 à 09:36, Ryan Birmingham a écrit :
Per the comments in this thread, I believe that a better error message
for this case would be a reasonable way to fix the use case around this
issue.
It can be difficult to notice that your quotes are curved if you don't
know that's what you're looking for.

-Ryan Birmingham

On 22 October 2016 at 03:16, Steven D'Aprano <st...@pearwood.info
<mailto:st...@pearwood.info>> wrote:

    On Sat, Oct 22, 2016 at 06:13:35AM +0000, Jonathan Goble wrote:
    > Interesting idea. +1 from me; probably can be as simple as just having the
    > tokenizer interpret curly quotes as the ASCII (straight) version of itself
    > (in other words, " and the two curly versions of that would all produce
the
    > same token, and same for single quotes, eliminating any need for
additional
    > changes further down the chain).

    There's a lot more than two. At least nineteen (including the ASCII

    > This would help with copying and pasting
    > code snippets from a source that may have auto-formatted the quotes
without
    > the original author realizing it.

    Personally, I think that we should not encourage programmers to take a
    lazy, slap-dash attitude to coding. Precision is important to
    programmers, and there is no limit to how imprecise users can be. Should
    we also guard against people accidentally using prime marks or ornaments
    (dingbats):

    ′″‴‵‶‷ ❛❜❝❞❮❯

    as well? If not, what makes them different from other accidents of
    careless programmers?

    I don't think we should be trying to guess what programmers mean, nor do
    I think that we should be encouraging programmers to use word processors
    for coding. Use the right tool for the right job, and even Notepad is
    better for the occasional programmer than Microsoft Office or
    LibreOffice. Programming is hard, requiring precision and care, and we
    don't do beginners any favours by making it easy for them to be
    imprecise and careless.

    I would be happy to see improved error messages for smart quotes:

    py> s = ‘abcd’
      File "<stdin>", line 1
        s = ‘abcd’
                 ^
    SyntaxError: invalid character in identifier

    (especially in IDLE), but I'm very dubious about the idea of using
    typographical quote marks for strings. At the very least, Python should
    not lead the way here. Let some other language experiment with this
    first, and see what happens. Python is a mature, established language,
    not an experimental language.

    Of course, there's nothing wrong with doing an experimental branch of
    Python supporting this feature, to see what happens. But that doesn't
    mean we should impose it as an official language rule.