On Mon, Oct 24, 2016 at 7:00 PM, Stephen J. Turnbull <
turnbull.stephen...@u.tsukuba.ac.jp> wrote:

> Chris Barker writes:
>
>  > I think the "better error message" option is the way to go,
>  > however. At least until we all have better Unicode support in all
>  > our tools....
>
> I don't think "better Unicode support" helps with confusables in
> programming languages that value TOOWTDI.

that was kind of a throwaway comment, but I think it's a LONG way out, but
ideally, the OWTDI would be "curly quotes". The fact that in ASCII, a
single quote and a apostrophe are teh same, and that there is no
distinction between opening and closing quotes is unfortunate.

But it will be a LONG time before we'll all have text editors that can
easily let us type that many different characters... and even more time
before backward compatibility concerns are alleviated -- probably around
the time I can have a snowball fight in the Bad Place.

So let's jsut stick with what we have, eh?

[1]  Personally, I immediately liked the triple quotes,

Me too -- I find myself using them in text email messages and the like --
not sure if non-pythonistas get it, but no one has complained yet.

-CHB

--

Christopher Barker, Ph.D.
Oceanographer

Emergency Response Division
7600 Sand Point Way NE   (206) 526-6329   fax

chris.bar...@noaa.gov