On Sun, Oct 30, 2016 at 11:22 PM, Paul Moore <p.f.mo...@gmail.com> wrote:
> In mentioning emoji, my main point was that "average computer users"
> are more and more likely to want to use emoji in general applications
> (emails, web applications, even documents) - and if a sufficiently
> general solution for that problem is found, it may provide a solution
> for the general character-entry case.

Before Unicode emoji were prevalent, ASCII emoticons dominated, and
it's not uncommon for multi-character sequences to be automatically
transformed into their corresponding emoji. It isn't hard to set
something up that does these kinds of transformations for other
Unicode characters - use trigraphs for clarity, and type "/:0" to
produce "∅". Or whatever's comfortable for you. Maybe rig it on
Ctrl-Alt-0, if you prefer shift-key sequences.

ChrisA