On 17 November 2016 at 03:07, Stephen J. Turnbull
<turnbull.stephen...@u.tsukuba.ac.jp> wrote:
> Paul Moore writes:
>
>  > PS Note for anyone who wants to take this off on a wild tangent - my
>  > above comment is *in the context of Python as it has been defined for
>  > 20+ years*.
>
> Not quite.  Augmented assignment operators were added in Python 2.0
> according to What's New, and they were quite controversial (== Guido
> didn't like them) at the time.  In that respect, Mikhail is in good
> company (perhaps for different reasons).  But Guido did accept them,
> and they are immoveable at this point in time.

Fair point. My "20+ years" was a rough guess, and wasn't so much
intended to relate specifically to augmented assignment as to the
principles involved. Python tends to pick up ideas from other C-like
languages, and doesn't arbitrarily deviate from common syntax (the
conditional expression being the most obvious example where we did use
a different syntax than everyone else).

Paul

PS Whatever the merit of Mikhail's specific proposals, he is prompting
discussion on the principles behind our rejection of his ideas, and
that's valuable. So thanks to him for that, at least.