On Mon, Jul 17, 2017 at 05:01:58PM -0700, Ethan Furman wrote:
> Guido has decreed that namedtuple shall be reimplemented with speed in mind.
>
> I haven't timed it (I'm hoping somebody will volunteer to be the bench mark
> guru), I'll offer my NamedTuple implementation from my aenum [1] library.

With respect Ethan, if you're going to offer up NamedTuple as a faster
version of namedtuple, you should at least do a quick proof of
concept to demonstrate that it actually *is* faster. Full bench marking
can wait, but you should be able to do at least something like:

python3 -m timeit --setup "from collections import namedtuple" \
    "K = namedtuple('K', 'a b c')"

versus

python3 -m timeit --setup "from aenum import NamedTuple" \
    "K = NamedTuple('K', 'a b c')"

(or whatever the interface is). If there's only a trivial speed up, or
if its slower, then there's no point even considing it unless you speed
it up first.