On 2017-10-31 11:42, Nick Coghlan wrote:
On 31 October 2017 at 02:29, Guido van Rossum <gu...@python.org <mailto:gu...@python.org>> wrote:

    What's your proposed process to arrive at the list of recommended
    packages?

I'm thinking it makes the most sense to treat inclusion in the recommended packages list as a possible outcome of proposals for standard library inclusion, rather than being something we'd provide a way to propose specifically.

We'd only use it in cases where a proposal would otherwise meet the criteria for stdlib inclusion, but the logistics of actually doing so don't work for some reason.

Running the initial 5 proposals through that filter:

* six: a cross-version compatibility layer clearly needs to be outside the standard library * setuptools: we want to update this in line with the PyPA interop specs, not the Python language version * cffi: updates may be needed for PyPA interop specs, Python implementation updates or C language definition updates * requests: updates are more likely to be driven by changes in network protocols and client platform APIs than Python language changes * regex: we don't want two regex engines in the stdlib, transparently replacing _sre would be difficult, and _sre is still good enough for most purposes

regex gets updated when the Unicode Consortium releases an update.

[snip]