On Saturday, November 4, 2017, Erik Bray <erik.m.b...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Nov 4, 2017 08:31, "Stephen J. Turnbull" <turnbull.stephen.fw@u.
> tsukuba.ac.jp
> <javascript:_e(%7B%7D,'cvml','turnbull.stephen...@u.tsukuba.ac.jp');>>
> wrote:
>
> Erik Bray writes:
>
>  > Nope.  I totally get that they don’t know what a shell or command prompt
>  > is.  THEY. NEED. TO. LEARN.
>

> Just to be clear I did not write this. Someone replying to me did.
>
> I'm going to go over all the different proposals in this thread and see if
> I can synthesize a list of options.

Here's are some of the challenges (both for a pip() function and a GUI):

- Create reproducible software environments
  - Log the pip CLI commands
  - Log whether a version was specified
  - Be able to replay that log:
    - Which inputs need to be escaped before passing them through to a
shell or exec*? (see: shlex.split())

- Please don't flood PyPi with unnecessary requests
  - (Turns out there are 5 invocations of `!pip install' buried somewhere
in a script that's run 5 times in a hour by 25 students: even with pip
caching package downloads, how many HTTP requests is that? Who pays for
PyPi?)

- There are a number of GUIs for pip: web-based, GUI based, CLI wrappers:
  - web:
  - CLI wrappers: pipenv, pipsi; ``conda install pip``
  - GUI: PyCharm
    - Tcl/Tk is in the standard library.
    - ``conda install spyder`` installs At

- pip does not have a stable API.
  - not even pip.main()
  - what about the shell CLI?
    - sarge is still safer than shlex.split()

>  I think, even if it's not a solution that winds up in the stdlib, it
> would be good to have some user stories about how package installation from
> within an interactive prompt might work (even if not from the standard
> REPL, which it should be noted has had small improvements made to it over
> the years).

This works today but is inadvisable because it risks wasting bandwidth if
the %run (!) instructions are frequently re-run unnecessarily:

$ ipython
>>> !pip install -U ipython
>>> exit()
$ ipython

> I also have my doubts about whether this *shouldn't* be possible. I mean,
> to a lot of beginners starting out the basic REPL *is* Python. They're so
> new to the scene they don't even know what IPython or Jupyter is or why
> they might want that. They aren't experienced enough to even know what
> they're missing out on. In classrooms we can resolve that easily by
> pointing our students to whatever tools we think will work best for them,
> but not everyone has that privilege.

https://conda.io/docs/user-guide/install/index.html

$ conda install -y pip ipython notebook spyder

Or, just:

$ conda install -y ipython notebook