On Tue, Oct 31, 2017 at 11:05 AM, Chris Angelico <ros...@gmail.com> wrote:

> > So I think defining a "pip" builtin that simply gave a helpful message
> would
> > be a good start.
> >
> > (hmm, it's a syntax error, so not as simple as a builtin -- but it could
> be
> > caught somehow to give a better message)
>
> This sounds like the job for an enhanced REPL like Jupyter/ipython. In
> fact, it might already exist - I haven't looked.

I jsu tlooked, no it doesn't -- but yes, a good idea for a feature request.

However, no matter how you slice it, some folks will be trying to to run
pip via the usual REPL, if we could get them a nice error, it would save a
lot of headaches and useless messages to mailing lists...

-CHB

--

Christopher Barker, Ph.D.
Oceanographer

Emergency Response Division
7600 Sand Point Way NE   (206) 526-6329   fax

chris.bar...@noaa.gov