On 5 November 2017 at 23:30, Paul Moore <p.f.mo...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 5 November 2017 at 10:48, Antoine Pitrou <solip...@pitrou.net> wrote:
>> On Sun, 5 Nov 2017 13:46:59 +1000
>> Nick Coghlan <ncogh...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> * ensurepip gains the ability to also install bundled wheel files
>>
>> Why? Why wouldn't you put the wheel directly in site-packages on
>> install?
>
> I'm not quite sure what you mean? It needs to be "installed", in the
> sense of being unpacked into site-packages, and the ensurepip
> mechanism is already able to do that for pip and setuptools, so adding
> an extra wheel to install wouldn't be too hard. If we don't install
> like that, people won't be able to easily upgrade typing by just using
> "pip install --upgrade typing".
>
> Wheels don't support simply being added to sys.path the way that eggs
> did, if that's what you mean.

What Paul said here. While wheels *can* be designed to support
use-without-extraction (and pip's own wheel file is constructed that
way so you can use a pip wheel to install itself), the general design
principle is that we expect them to be installed prior to use, such
that they get proper PEP 376 metadata entries, and so that their
subcomponents end up in the right sysconfig directories for the
deployment environment.

Cheers,
Nick.