On Tue, Nov 7, 2017 at 2:45 PM Nick Coghlan <ncogh...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 7 November 2017 at 03:52, Michel Desmoulin <desmoulinmic...@gmail.com>
> wrote:

> And assume that stuff in any tutorial you make they know this stuff.
> >
> > This is a strong barrier or entry IMO.
>
> Sure, but it's not one we can readily fix - the user hostility of
> command line environments and the compromises we have to make to abide
> by platform conventions are in the hands of operating system vendors,
> and there's only so much we can do to paper over those distinctions
> when user lock-in and putting barriers in the way of cross-device
> portability is a core part of commercial OS vendors' business models.

I don't know if you are referring to Microsoft Windows here, but I want to
note that from my personal experience the Windows subsystem for Linux
("Bash on Ubuntu on Windows") is easy to work with, so making Windows feel
(CLI-wise) like Ubuntu is not so difficult. I'm not sure how easy it is for
students to set up, but it is an option at least.

Elazar