On 15 November 2017 at 19:51, Paul Moore <p.f.mo...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 15 November 2017 at 08:22, Nick Coghlan <ncogh...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On 15 November 2017 at 16:13, Steve Barnes <gadgetst...@live.co.uk>
> wrote:
> >>
> >>   - "pip -X[.Y][-32|-64] operation ..." tries to find a python matching
> >> -X[.Y][-32|-64] and if it succeeds executes "python -m pip operation
> >> ..." with that python, (if it doesn't find a matching python is should
> >> fail with a sensible error message and possibly list the valid python
> >> specifiers).
> >

> > This is a genuinely interesting option, especially as `pipenv` has
> already
> > implemented a feature somewhat akin to this:
> > https://docs.pipenv.org/basics.html#specifying-versions-of-python
> >
> > `pipenv` also allows `pipenv --two` and `pipenv --three` when setting up
> > your initial virtual environment.
>
> This is an interesting idea for *any* tool that's about "working with
> Python environments" as opposed to "writing Python code". So pip,
> virtualenv, tox, pipenv, ... Many of these tools are variously
> reinventing "tell me which Python environment to work on" options.
> Having a common way to do this would be really useful. I'm not sure
> how likely it would be for pip to be able to use it (pip introspects
> sys.executable to get site-packages, etc), but it's certainly a
> possibility.
>
> Having a standardised library/wrapper that handles the "select a
> Python environment" process would be a huge plus. There's
> https://github.com/zooba/pep514tools which is a start on handling the
> Windows registry scanning logic, and building on that to include Unix
> and anything else we needed would be great.

While I suspect pep514tools itself may not end up being the right place, I
filed https://github.com/zooba/pep514tools/issues/2 to start discussing
that idea further. For other platforms, just naively scanning `PATH` is
often good enough, so it's mainly Windows where discovery needs to be a bit
more aware of platform specific details (i.e. PEP 514's registry entries).

Cheers,
Nick.