On 03/02/2018 08:04 AM, Chris Angelico wrote:
On Sat, Mar 3, 2018 at 1:53 AM, Rhodri James wrote:
On 02/03/18 11:43, Chris Angelico wrote:

      # Compound statements usually enclose everything...
      if (re.match(...) as m):
          print(m.groups(0))
      print(m) # NameError

This (and the equivalent in while loops) is the big win in the PEP, in my
opinion.  The number of ugly loops I've had to write in Python because I
can't write "while (something_to_do() as event):"...  +1 on this.

      # Using a statement-local name
      stuff = [[(f(x) as y), x/y] for x in range(5)]

As Paul said, the asymmetry of this bothers me a lot.  It doesn't read
naturally to me. -1 on this.

Interesting. I fully expected to get a lot more backlash for the
if/while usage, but a number of people are saying that that's the only
(or the biggest) part of this proposal that they like.

This is the part of the PEP that I really like as well -- far more useful to me than the list-comp examples. I could even be +0.5 if the "if/while/for" compound statements were kept and the comprehensions dropped -- but not with leading dots -- I would rather do $ than . . Kind of like decorators, they shouldn't be used all that often.

--
~Ethan~